Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Salad Spinner & Chopping Knife - Special Parts


In our home, food is a big deal. Dinner as a family is a number one priority and we have vowed to only feed ourselves and our children the best products we can find - even if that means that we cut back on other things in our life. (And it does mean that.) If there is something worth spending money on in my mind, it's food and yoga.

I think everyone shares recipes online these days and I don't like beating dead horses (should I be saying that?) but I thought that it would be nice to start sharing our meals and rituals around food.


A Ritual

I don't do New Years resolutions. I don't like the hype around it and I don't want to disappoint myself when I don't follow through. However, I did decide that at the start of this year I was going to start two things. The first is writing down what we eat for dinner each night and the second is for each of us to share something special that happened to us that day or the best part of our day. I record them in a plain moleskin notebook (I use those little notebooks for everything) each night at dinner.

It's nice to hear about the lovely parts of my families days.

Although he only gets an hour a week of computer time at our house a certain small someone is slightly obsessed with computer games at the moment. So it often goes like this...

"What was something special that happened to you today?"

"When I played the computer game."

"Okay, what is something else that was special about your day?"

"When you told me I could play the computer game."

...choose your battles?


ps. I really love these two books about kids, family and food:

Dinner A Love Story

French Kids Eat Everything

...and this one looks like it could be a good read.


No comments:

Post a Comment